So, I finally indulged an bought a couple of raw diet books because I have been fascinated by this concept lately. One was more of a book all about eating raw and the other had some recipes. As I began reading the author continued to discuss the concept of "green smoothies" and how this is the solution to all of our nutritional problems. She claims that greens are the ultimate nutrional powerhouse and that we as humans simply don't consume enough and therefore she concocted a "green smoothie" which consists of some greens, fruit, and water. Nick and I decided to give it a try, it cant hurt anything right? So this morning we drank one which consisted of cherries, strawberries, blueberries, kale, water, and some flax seed (I was feeling wild!!) and it wasnt that bad! I have to admit it filled me up all 150 calories apprximately, it cant be too much more there is nothing to it!!! She advices drinking one quart a day which seems like alot to us right now so we are starting with 1/2 of that and see if we can increase from there. The testimonals in this book claimed everything from clearer skin to curing pancreatic cancer, so we will see what we experience we will keep you updated but for now happy drinking!! (Green smoothies that is!!!)
There used to be an organic smoothie place by my apartment in chicago that makes "green" smoothies. The varieties included things like kale, spinach, and avocados. I would get them as a meal substitute because, like you said, they are filling! While I am sad they closed, getting the right combination down can be delicious and incredibly nutritious!
ReplyDelete