I have been researching a lot about atheletes diets and what we should be eating for optimal nutrition and boy is the evidence conflicting. One website that I found a TON of info on was http://www.marksdailyapple.com/. At this website Mark advocates for a high fat, high protein, low carb diet. He gives plenty of arguements supporting his point of view and claims that this way of life as led him to get the body of his dreams and that he feels the best he has ever felt. He goes so far to say that you should be eating 1g of protein for every pound of lean muscle mass daily and eating around 50-100 grams of carbs daily, that is it! But eat all the fat that you want, good fats that is, interesting. He claims this is the way we were supposed to eat he calls it the primal diet.
Another point of view is from a trainer from the Biggest Loser, Jillian Michels. She claims that there are three different types of body make ups and according to which body type you are that depends on what kind of diet is best for you. There is one type who does best on high carb low fat, another that is best on Zone type diet, and then another who is best on an Atkins type diet! She claims that you should eat all organic, all natural and only things that are grown in the earth or that have a mother!
Then there is another website http://www.organicathlete.org/vegan-athletes which advocates or athelets to not only be vegan but to be raw vegans! Many of their postings claim that the majority of your calories should come from fruit, the rest from veggies and to limit your fat intake, you obviously not much in the nut category. They also have plenty of evidence to back up their claims and have tons of testimonials from people, even elite athletes claiming going raw vegan was the best thing that they ever did!!!
Another point of view was from a book that I just read called the Kind Diet. In this book Alicia Silverstone who is the author promotes a vegan diet but goes further in saying the majority of your calories up to 65% should come from whole grains, mostly rice, quinoa,oats, etc. She says that bread is OK as long as it is whole grain but it is still considered processed and therefore not ideal. She also makes a point that we should eat regionally and seasonally; we should eat what would naturally be at the local farmers market on Sat morning, for instance I should not be eating pineapple while curled up by my fireplace when it is snowing outside, it is not the type of food my body is meant to be digesting that time of the year and therefore my body has to work harder to digest it! Again she gives many reasons and arguements as to why eating a high carb vegan diet is the best diet for optimum health!!!
http://blog.firstendurance.com/2009/06/anti-inflammatory-foods/ Then this article and this article http://www.velonews.com/article/91925 claim that eating gluten free is the key to success for endurance atheletes siting that gluten leads to inflammation and other noted ailments therefore inhibiting proper muscle recover and optimum performance!!!
I don't know about you but I am so confused!!! I know that for my own body personally if I eat a lot of bread or pasta (whole grain of course!) I do fell bloated afterwards! However I also swear by my concoction of peanut butter, oatmeal, and chopped dates daily for breakfast, I really do beleive that is the breakfast of champions! I don't know if I could live without that. I know that I have heard that alot of doctors recommend the raw diet to cancer patients and I personally know people that the raw diet has helped. But I also don't know with the amount of food that I eat I am not sure I would be satisified on a raw vegan diet, I mean seriously!!! What are your opinions??? I would love to hear what others think about this subject, should we ban carbs or make them our friends???
Is Keto Dead?
1 week ago
No comments:
Post a Comment